What a long day we had yesterday.  I was up at 5:15am so I could be at the job-site by 7am to go over everyone’s duties for the day.  I went back home after a couple hours, ate a nice breakfast, then we headed to the hospital to check-in.  The check-in process went quickly, they are beginning to know us there, plus a lot of the info could be transferred over from our last visit.

Then off to the out-patient surgical center where we saw more familiar faces.  More questions to answer while another technician checked blood pressure, oxygen levels, pulse, etc.  The IV was administered, this is always an adventure due to Diane’s small, tough, rolling veins.  Then the waiting began.

Since we arrived later in the day the pace was not hectic like it is in the early morning time slots.  This can be good or bad, if you are anxious about the surgery the hectic pace takes your mind off of what is coming.  Diane is used to the process and is always in good spirits, talking with the nurses, joking around with them, giving advice on how to deal with those pesky little veins, etc.  I am the one that is the basket case, I always worry when she goes under the knife.

The anesthesiologist arrived and informed us that he had checked on the status of the surgical suite and was told that the current surgery was going to go over the allotted time.  They were not sure how long they would be needing the room, so we knew that we had a longer wait, but did not know how long.  The anesthesiologist eventually returned and let us know approximately what time the room was going to be available.

The surgeon arrived and Diane asked how his morning went and he said it was busy and since the room was delayed he was able to have a nice lunch.  Diane told him she was jealous since all she had recently was a piece of toast and a few swallows of juice at 5am.  The surgeon then asked Diane if she wanted him to be hungry during surgery or well fed and strong.  He is young, friendly and confident in his abilities without being arrogant; Diane really likes and trusts him.

The surgeon took out his little marker and had Diane stand while he did his pre-surgery marking.  He told us that he was going to do additional work to correct the positioning of the implants and she would definitely have at least one surgical drain.  This extra step is not that unusual.  When the plastic surgeon does his initial work he is immediately following the surgeons removing the breast tissue.  It can be difficult to gauge the results from the positioning of the the internal bra he creates from muscle stratus that holds the expanders and then the implants in place, plus all bodies do not heal and recover the same.

The surgery went well and was completed in the time frame that we were expecting.  The surgeon came and explained to me that all went well and he was able to adjust the positioning.  He said the implants fit well and the result should be soft, well formed breasts and that  Diane should be very happy with the results.  He said that her breasts will now compliment her slender frame.  The hard, stiff coconuts are finally gone!

The recovery nurse called and told me that Diane was doing well coming out of anesthesia, but was experiencing quite a bit of pain and they were trying to take care of that for her.  She also let me know that with the length of the surgery and the delays getting started Diane would not be processed through the out-patient section, she would be going to a room to finish her recovery before going home.

By the time Diane got to her room the floor was in the middle of shift change and to top it off the floor was full and overflowing to a lower floor.  Everything progressed very slowly from that point, Diane was doing fine but starting to loose patience.  The pain medication took close to an hour before it was administered, the antibiotics that were prescribed via IV were almost overlooked, and it took multiple pushes on the call button to get a response.  We were both tired, Diane was experiencing more pain than she should have been and my back was barking at me.

The surgeon inserted a small tube connected to a ball that was placed in a small canvas pouch with a waste band attached.  The pain ball administers a numbing medication until empty, then we can pull the tube out.  This should last until sometime Saturday, I can only imagine how much pain Diane would have been experiencing without it.

After the antibiotics were gone the checkout procedure started, albeit slowly.  Diane was able to get up and tinkle, then we tried to get her dressed.  We had to take a short break due to a little dizziness and nausea.

We finally left the hospital sometime after 11pm.  I got Diane settled in bed and went to the 24hr pharmacy to pick-up some muscle relaxers.  I was finally able to get some supper after I gave Diane her medicine.  We never knew what the schedule was at the hospital, so I could not leave to get supper.

Diane slept good last night and is doing well considering everything she went through yesterday.